How to Build AP Programs that Excel
How to Build AP Programs that Excel: Best Practices for School Leaders
FACILITATE extended learning opportunities for students.
- Develop AP-specific peer tutoring (bring in members of the private sector and higher ed).
- Ensure AP teachers have access to the building outside of school hours.
- Develop an AVID to AP pipeline.
SUPPORT Saturday Study Sessions.
- Arrange transportation.
- Post signs.
- Make regular announcements.
- Specifically address AP at class meetings and recruitment fairs (feel free to invite us!).
- Advertise AP in the hallways and counseling office.
- Have teachers go door to door to sell their classes.
- Document success by creating AP success stories in film.
DEVELOP an AP culture.
- Celebrate with AP students at year’s end (BBQs, pizza parties, etc.).
- Provide AP T-shirts, wristbands, or lanyards.
- Reward AP success at graduation.
- Recognize AP success in centrally-located academic showcases.
PROVIDE basic needs on AP test day with breakfasts and pep talks.
PRIORITIZE AP course instructional time.
VALUE AP teachers’ needs for both AP and non-AP PD time.
HELP teachers with mock exam logistics.
- Support full, 3-hour exam time frames.
- Utilize block periods or assessment days.