Who We Are
The Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) cultivates systems improvement and equity in K-12 education.
The Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) cultivates systems improvement and equity in K-12 education. For more than ten years, we have been at the forefront of improvement, innovation, and change in Colorado’s public education system.
Every student in Colorado is prepared and unafraid to succeed in school, work, and life and ready to take on the challenges of today, tomorrow, and beyond.
CEI accelerates educational improvement and innovation across Colorado.
- All students, regardless of race, ethnicity, first language, culture, socio-economic background, physical and mental abilities, or geography, deserve an education that enables them to succeed in school, work, and life. This requires an education system that serves the academic, professional, personal, entrepreneurial, and civic needs of students.
- Systems produce the results they are designed to produce. Colorado’s education system must be reimagined with the realities of the 21st century in mind, in a way that is designed to drive the success of all students.
- The people working in our school systems are the most powerful drivers of improvement and innovation.
- A data-driven approach must be taken to innovation and improvement.
- The best solutions and ideas in education should be applied throughout Colorado.
Meaningful and sustainable change requires shifting mindsets, scaling strategy, and constantly iterating to meet Colorado’s evolving needs. To ensure that improvement and innovation efforts become the new normal, we seek to intentionally build the mindsets of the educators and leaders implementing them.
CEI works with teachers, schools, and districts to align innovation improvement efforts in ways that promote system-wide change. We offer training, technical assistance, and thought leadership around critical systemic issues in education, including:
- Competency-based and personalized learning: CEI is intensifying our efforts to help districts build systems where students advance based on demonstrated readiness and educators tailor learning for each student’s strengths, needs, and interests.
- High school redesign: CEI is working to help Colorado’s high schools design learning environments that offer relevant and rigorous experiences, and attend to students’ academic and social-emotional needs, to prepare all students for postsecondary learning, work, and life.
- Accountability: CEI is invested in creating a new accountability system in Colorado that provides timely, actionable data for schools and districts.
- The Lab at CEI: CEI’s “test kitchen” for shorter-term innovation projects allows us to uncover emerging needs and opportunities and the field. Read more about the impact of CEI’s work in the state of Colorado.
Our Design Commitments
CEI’s six design commitments, embedded within all of our projects, define what we believe are critical levers for system transformation.
Learn more about each commitment