At this stage in the change process there is no intention to take action. This absence of intent to engage with the change at-hand may be a result of one or more of the following: lack of information (under-informed or uninformed), misinformation, denial, hyper-awareness of what is involved with the change, apathy, or demoralized based on past experience with change, among others. This is not necessarily the starting position for the change process, and at any time during the process this stage may be revisited.
What you might SEE at this stage
- Reluctance to engage
- Defiance that change is coming/underway
What you might HEAR at this stage
- Rationalizing why things should stay the same, that change is not needed
What you might ASK to maximize the conversation at this stage
Seek to understand and ask questions
- What is the change that is coming/underway?
- Why is the change happening?
- What feelings are coming up related to this change?